Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Get it done

You know what being busy isn’t so bad. Honestly like you forget how tired you are when you realize how much you have accomplished; and I plain on accomplishing so much more this year. That’s just a thought I wanted to start this off with.

But I wanted to talk about the day when you introduce yourself to the class. ie hi my name is Rebecca and I am a sophomore etc. I always seem to feel like oh I want yall to know that I do this and I do that. But it’s never enough time to get that out. Unless you are the very out spoken type of person who doesn’t mind taking up a half hour to tell the class about you likes dislikes, your thoughts on the war, the oil spill ect.

My shoes came for my birthday weekend. Although I’m not super hyped about the dress, the shoes say yes I’m grown. And that’s all I wanted. I’m not rich I can’t buy the birthday dress I really wanted but I found the shoes!!!

I went to a couple of meetings today, one was for a job and the other for BSU: Black Student Union; this is almost like NAACP. And I heard this amazing statement. Well the person who said it heard it from someone else but that’s ok. He said something to the extent that you should just want to breathe. I know I have to put it in a way where you can understand what he was saying. But I just wanted to put those words out there on their own, because they stood out the most.

Basically a man came up to a very wealthy person and said something to the effect that they wanted to be as rich as this person and have all the things they had. So the wealthy person said if you want to be rich meet me at the beach at 8 am tomorrow morning. So the person did. When they got there the wealthy person said go out in the water till you ant go anymore. To shorten the story they guy did and the wealthy person held the guys head under the water for a short period of time. Then let him up. And asked what were you thinking while you were under the water? The guy responded that he just wanted to breathe.

And I’m not going to keep pushing this story ill let it sit. But too many black people want to be rich quick and famous. But we all need to understand we need to strive for some more realist goals first. This may be just breathing, just being able to get up in a house or apartment; just being able to get in a car or on a back or the bus, like really. And have a job or a means for living. We need to be able to reach for those which we can achieve and once we get there strive higher. But don’t expect to go from 0 to 60.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really moving speech. What's Black Student Union all about? Oh, and glad you got your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black Student Union is a organization at VCU that is trying to bring together the African American population here together to keep everyone on track. Thanks I am to

    ReplyDelete