Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mid Day Post

I had one of those mid day naps because I got up real early to go out with one of my old friends for some eats. I swear I thought three dollars was going to get me three regular size pancakes. Well they tricked me. I got these jinormous pancakes and I couldn’t even finish one. That’s why Americans are so fat right now.

Anyway my dream was about me and my father… So I was like grown with dreads to kill. And I got a call from this producer guy saying my father was ready to meet me. And in my dream I was like about time. And when I got there it was like a regular day at his house. His kids were running around in pampers, his wife was making dinner and he was in the studio. So I sat there and waited for him to come out. In the dream he didn’t have to explain anything to me. It was like we were best friends already. And I was just waiting for him to ask me into his life. So towards the end I had a male friend come and visit and I wanted him to meet my newly found father. But for some reason he was running away from me and the guy. So finally I sat the male down and went searching for my father. When I saw him he was running out the back door. And I was like hell no get your sorry excuse for a dad ass back in here and face me. I would probably never really say that but in my dream it came out. He came back in and told me he just couldn’t be the dad I wanted, and that I was better off with out him. You see I found this strange because not once did we argue about money, him not paying child support, college, getting me a car, nothing. But what I wanted from him was to be my dad.

At breakfast this came up in our convo. Like I have a step dad who has been there for me I think from like the age 8. And he knows my SSN, my birth date, the grades I get, he’s been at all my graduations, he know of all my ex heart breaks, he’s picked me up from school, I’m on his taxes, and he loves me. So he is in a sense everything I want in a dad. But I still wanted to give my father a chance at being there. Unfortunately I think this dream was telling me he can’t be that for me.

While checking my email I came across a bit of information on a family in England. A black family, “Peter and Paula Imafidon, 9-year-old twins from Waltham Forest in northeast London, are a part of the highest-achieving clan in the history of Great Britain education.” It’s about a family from Nigeria in West Africa who came over 30 years ago. They have produced some amazing children. With Anne-Marie now 20 who holds the world record as the youngest girl to pass the A-level computing, when she was just 13. She is now studying Johns Hopkins University, in Baltimore. Then Christina, 17, is the youngest student to ever get accepted and study at an undergraduate institution at any British university at 11. Another one is Samantha, now age 12, had passed two rigorous high school-level mathematics and statistics exams at the age of 6. The cap stone being Peter and Paula, they aren’t saying that there genes are to thank but the great education for the underprivileged.

I found this interesting because my friend and I also talked about this at breakfast; because yesterday May 17th was the anniversary of the Brown vs. Bored of Education. He believed that schools would have been better in a sense if they were still segregated; because the African American children would learn more about their African roots, while the causations would learn from the curriculum that we are learning now. I had to disagree; I believe predominantly black schools are some what of a crutches. They are not a sample of the real world. Because in the real world nothing is color coded everyone is in the same bucket trying to reach to the top. I also believe we are still segregated but not by color. Instead we are segregated my income. If your family makes a certain amount you can afford to live in certain areas and these areas may be predominantly black or white, causing schools to be segregated by money instead of color.

What do you feel about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment